Apply for the ECEAE Prize for animal-free antibodies
Antibodies are one of the most often used tools in research, diagnostics, therapeutics and regulatory procedures. Via the use of modern technologies, such as phage display, we can now generate non-animal derived antibodies.
In 2020, the EU Reference Laboratory for alternatives to animal testing (EURL ECVAM) published a report, “the Recommendation on non-animal-derived antibodies” stating that „there is a solid body of evidence demonstrating that there are no general or systematic disadvantages of non-animal-derived antibodies with respect to properties such as affinity, stability/shelf life, and specificity.”
The European Coalition to End Animal Experiments (ECEAE) is now awarding a unique prize for the use of these non-animal derived antibodies. This prize aims ‘to raise awareness about the advantages of animal-free antibodies and promote their development and application’.
The prize amounts to €10 000 and can be awarded to an individual researcher, a research consortium, a university department, an industrial company, or other types of research facilities. The prize will be awarded at an event in Brussels in the spring of 2022.
Applicants must meet the application criteria:
- be based in the EU;
- be prepared to accept the prize at an event in Brussels in spring of 2022, and give a short presentation. Travel expenses will be covered.
- submit a project which does not contain any animal experiments or animal-derived products such as Fetal Calf Serum (FCS), Bovine Serum Albumin (BSA), milk powder, etc.
- the application should focus on the innovative development and/or application of animal-free antibodies for research or medical purposes;
- the application can be for ongoing or completed projects;
- the application documents must be submitted in English.
The deadline for applications has been extended to the 31st of January 2022.
More information on how to apply: https://www.eceae.org/antibodies.html.
- Better antibodies without using animals: https://ec.europa.eu/jrc/en/science-update/better-antibodies-without-using-animals
- EURL ECVAM Recommendation on Non-Animal-Derived Antibodies: https://publications.jrc.ec.europa.eu/repository/handle/JRC120199
- Procedure ECEAE Prize: https://www.eceae.org/antibodies.html