Primary cortical neuron isolation
Scope of the method
The Method relates to
- Animal health
- Human health
The Method is situated in
- Basic Research
Type of method
- In vitro - Ex vivo
This method makes use of
- Animal derived cells / tissues / organs
Species from which cells/tissues/organs are derivedMus Musculus
Type of cells/tissues/organsBrain (cortex)
- cell culture
Scientific area keywords
- basic research
- fundamental research
This method describes the steps from a living mouse to a single cell solution of primary cortical neurons.
- Internally validated
Pros, cons & Future potential
- Primary cultures give rise to a condition more similar although not identical to the in vivo situation when compared to cell lines ;
- Methodologically feasible ;
- Wide application range within the field of neuroscience.
- Interspecies differences ;
- Terminal experiment for the lab animal.
Future & Other applications
Adjustment of the protocol can be made to isolate primary neurons of other species.
References, associated documents and other information
Associated documentsPrimary cortical neurons.docx
Contact personMelissa Schepers
Biomed Neuro-Immune Connection and Repair